Monday, May 13, 2013

Blog 2 Exit Interview

1) My EQ is "How can a Foley artist best stay ahead of the rapidly evolving technology in the film industry." Having been answered three times, with "Always be working," "Recognize the unknown," and "Understand the concepts of Musique Concrete," I can say without a doubt that Recognition of the unknown is most important. This is because anybody can, with dedication, work their days off, or learn to understand the principles behind musique concrete, but it is a special talent to recognize the unknown, one that cannot be taught in any class.

2) Upon arriving at my question after an hour of debating over the wording, I quickly realized what my first answer was. A Foley artist must always be prepared to record a sound at a moment's notice. As such, I worded my first answer as "Always be working." This was arrived at by my independent component, and strengthened by my third interview.
My third interview also gave me my second answer, to "recognize the unknown." What this means is to be able to think of exactly what you need for a sound effect, and be able to create it, even when the sound required is for something that doesn't actually exist. A perfect example is the sound required for a meteor hurtling towards earth, because nobody has ever experienced that sound.
My third answer was arrived at upon reading the article "In defense of vulgarity: the place of sound effects in movies." This article referred to many prominent Foley artists as drawing inspiration from Musique Concrete, a type of music that draws sound from everyday life.

3) I found that there was shockingly little research on my topic, very early on in my work. One of the few websties that held consistently valuable information for me was filmsound.org, the source of nearly 50% of my articles. Upon discovering this site, and the plethora of external links from the site, I was able to accelerate my research and increase my knowledge of my topic immensly.

4) My two most significant sources are my third interview and the article "In defense of vulgarity: the place of sound effects in movies." My third interview, on it's own, gave me my second answer, and solidified my first, as it was the most in depth and helpful interview. The article mentioned above was influential in crafting my third answer, as it opened my eyes to potential sources of inspiration for Foley artists.

5)

No comments:

Post a Comment